What is AS9100?
The AS9100 is a technical specification aiming to the development of a quality management system for the Aerospace Industry. Much like the TS16949 that the current Revision C seems to be based on, it provides for continual improvement, emphasizing defect prevention and the reduction of variation and waste in the supply chain. It replaces the former AS9000 and now fully incorporates the ISO 9001 standard.
"The Improvement Standard" with ISO 9001:2000 as the basic quality management system, organizations achieving certification to AS9100 receive dual benefits. First, they benefit from the process approach, with emphasis on continuous improvement and communication. This means that the organization knows, understands, and practices a philosophy that is committed to quality in all actions, never settles for “good enough” and understands the dynamics and interactions that exist between the various processes that make up the quality management system. Secondly, the added requirements of AS9100, although prescriptive in nature, are based on proven techniques that further enhance an organization's ability to achieve high quality levels in the challenging automotive sector.
AS9100 certification offers the following benefits:
- Improved product and process quality and reliability.
- Improved on-time delivery.
- Greater emphasis on supplier quality improvement efforts.
- Single quality system registration to meet multiple customer quality requirements
- Incorporates the best lessons learned from the global automotive segment
- Improved staff morale through increased management efficiencies
- Continuous improvement of business performance through ongoing certification audits
- Bottom-line benefits through increased efficiency, reduced waste and better utilization of resources